An Inordinate Amount of Information

that I need to get off my mind (not to mention my Firefox. There are at least 15 tabs open in three different windows and it's getting out of hand.)

I saw Tony Oursler's work the last time I was in NY and it was the only gallery out of about 2o visited that I actually enjoyed seeing. I was reminded of his work after checking out Patrick Camut's website. He's one of my mom's former students, as well as Brittany Mucy, who's doing some great work.

Dahlia Elsayed was the visiting artist in Professional Practice yesterday. Finally, an artist who is not primarily interested in selling work. She was an artist in residence through the National Park Service which sounds like a dream. She talked about her typewriter with heart shaped keys that she uses carbon paper with instead of ribbon. She can't see what she's writing until she's finished and therefore can't edit until the words are on paper. This is important, she says, because when she uses a computer she edits too much and will delete something instantly if she's not satisfied. I thought this was interesting, odd, and endearing behavior.

Skowhegan was also mentioned during class. Lynn Palewicz, who I had for Drawing freshman year, had studied there, but I had forgotten about it. It's too bad she doesn't teach at MICA anymore, I love her art. The way she presents the self and body is mysterious, haunting and beautiful. It has a kind of creepy Hans Bellmer aspect, and anyone who's seen my recent work would agree that what I've been doing is certainly creepy. I should get in touch with her.

REMINDER: need to go to the Met before January 9 to see the John Baldessari show.

Good luck to my dear friend Sara who has just applied for the Stegner Fellowship!

It's nice to know things like this exist.

And what the hell, since I'm hyperlink happy here's the rest of what I currently have open:

vegitecture.net

cuteornotcute.blogspot.com

beautyisathingofthepast.blogspot.com

morphemes!

now for pizza and a night spent writing about nylon.

Comments